Base package includes (ready to fly)
- KŪBE head (main unit with pulleys)
- Connecting pin (will work for all future mounts)
- Screw stake with mount
- Velvet bag
- Guy lines for added support
- Flight and safety tutorials
- Professionally 3D printed head and mounts
- Multi-mount system (for future options)
- Ball bearing pulleys (replaceable)
- Works for both dual and quad line kites
- Easy loading line slots
Important notes and warnings
- Dogstake flying puts the pilot downwind with the kite, in its potential flight paths. For this reason, it can be dangerous, just as flying near spectators can be dangerous (kites can move fast and hit hard). However, a few bits of key information will enable you to be safe and have fun with the KŪBE. Sensible caution and self education is strongly encouraged to ensure the safety of both yourself and those around you. We always suggest you wear protective eyewear (e.g. sunglasses) at the very minimum, especially while you are learning.
- We WILL be rolling out a number of videos and resources to help our customers make the most of this amazing kite flying format so they can be safe, enjoy the experience and be able to find competency with it.
- Because line length is effectively halved through the dogstake (half pilot>stake and half stake>kite), we strongly suggest a minimum of 120′ lines (dual/quad) or 200′ (dual/quad) if you would like to have a full sized wind window.
- The main KŪBE unit comes standard and ready to fly with a long screw mount which is ideal for most flying surfaces but may require some additional support on soft sand (short guy lines to 2 tent stakes, etc).
- We are already working on making additional accessories available including a straight beach spike mount (hammer in) and vertical pole mount (velcro straps).
Our handcrafted KŪBE mount designed for stable dogstake flying in soft / deep turf that might not normally be secure enough for the standard pet screw mount, tapered high corrosion resistant steel really takes a pounding (2.5 lb to 3.5 lb dead blow hammer suggested). ** KŪBE not included ** These are handcrafted and assembled in small batches of 10-15 at a time, backordered SP|KE orders are generally fulfilled within 2-3 weeks.
Utilizing a concept conceived by Lee Sedgwick in the late 80s, John Barresi used and worked with nearly every style of dogstake mechanism recreationally, competitively and as a performer over the last 30+ years and through work with various folks created this “X” formation of pulleys to allow easier set up, independent line action and smooth flight interface on both DUAL and QUAD line kites.
1987 – Lee Sedgwick first shows the dogstake discipline
1990 – JB’s first experience with dogstake
2010 – Development of “X” design with Mikey Devereaux
2011 – Release of “X” design with Mikey Devereaux
2015 – Team KiteLife tries the first dogstake team in history
2020 – Start of 3D design concept work with Alex Doman
2022 – Start of 3D refinement and finalization with Geoff Hutton
2023 – Final release!
The KŪBE is the result of countless hours of testing, abusing and improving on that original “X” system (expensively made in small quantities using CNC) into what we have now after fully 13 years of development… An extremely clean and sexy, 3D printed unit with many functional and aesthetic improvements over the original, at half the price.